HFMD Update!

It has been almost two years since I posted about my experience about Hand Foot and Mouth Disease, so I wanted to provide a bit of an update.

For more information about that harrowing experience, here are my blogposts, complete with pictures:

FAQ: http://lazygirlsdiy.blogspot.com/2016/09/everything-there-is-to-know-about-adult.html
Adult HFMD: http://lazygirlsdiy.blogspot.com/2016/09/i-caught-disease-adult-hand-foot-mouth.html
Timeline with Pictures: http://lazygirlsdiy.blogspot.com/2016/09/hand-foot-mouth-disease-pictures.html

What I didn't mention in those posts is that 2 to 3 months later, my nails did fall off.  Because I was getting acrylic nails at the time, I couldn't see it at first, and it wasn't noticeable to anyone else but me.  I don't have any pictures for this reason, but I can explain what happened.  Basically, it's similar to what happens when you slam your finger in a door.  You grow a new nail under where the damaged nail is, and the damaged nail slowly begins to grow off.  Except you could see exactly where the old nail was growing out, because it sits on top of the new nail.  If you want an accurate photo, click this link: http://thelifeofsuz.blogspot.com/2012/07/bens-fingernails-are-falling-off.html

After my skin peeled, I was left with no fingerprints.  I could have robbed a bank!  It took a couple weeks for my fingers to go back to normal, but in that time I couldn't use the fingerprint scanner on my phone.  Bummer.  Ultimately, not the worst part of this disease.  It was almost comical at this point.

The skin on my feet also peeled, like one of those trendy foot peels that everyone's doing on YouTube.  Pretty gross, but also kind of satisfying.

The one thing you want to be mindful of, is that you can be contagious for up to 12 weeks (saliva and stool), so just be mindful of sharing food, and WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER USING THE WASHROOM (I truly hope this is not a break from your norm).  But also, be mindful of hand washing after diapering, or wiping snotty noses.

Anyways, two years later, here we are.  Thankfully I have never gotten the dreaded disease again.  I still have scarring on my hands from some of my worst blisters, but it's still not as bad as it could have been.  Though truth be told, I get very nervous when I hear that HFMD is going around.  This disease truly messes with your mind, in a way I cannot explain.  The lack of food and water, plus the isolation ... it's really unbearable.  But, the good news is, you'll survive, and maybe have a few scars to tell stories about!

Well, that's it.  I don't know how to end this odd post in a good way, so I'll just say goodbye.

Oh, and if you're reading this, I assume that you have HFMD.  So ... good luck.

xoxo, Jayy.

Comments

Popular Posts