Declutter Every Day In December (DEDD) Day 2 - Shoes
Welcome to Declutter Every Day in December, day 2! Today we move past the clothes in our closets to something a bit more difficult to get rid of ... shoes!
Shoes are considered an essential item - we need them for practical reasons as well as for fashion. So to get rid of something so essential can be really difficult.
Like yesterday, we are going to pull all our shoes out from the places where we store them. Take those shoes out of the closets, under the bed, out of your car ... pull them all out!
That was my pile, so there's no need to feel guilty about yours!
Anyways, now the fun begins! Go through each pair of shoes and decide if it adds value to your life. If you can answer yes to any one of the following questions, then those shoes need to go!
- Does it hurt?
- Does it cause blisters?
- Is it generally uncomfortable/unsafe?
- Are these shoes damaged beyond repair?
- If shoes are damaged and reparable, make sure you will actually repair them within the next 6 months, or it's time for those to go as well.
- Do I have to purchase clothing that matches these shoes?
- Have I outgrown this style of shoe?
- Do I have multiples of this shoe? (I answered yes to this one more than once ...)
- Do I have many shoes in this particular style/colour? (Who needs 4 pairs of black pumps, or 3 pairs of brown booties??)
Additionally, ask yourself when you last wore those shoes. If it's been over a year, chances are you won't be reaching for that shoe again.
Likes yesterday, we will sort our shoes into 4 piles - keep, donate, sell, and trash. Go ahead and put your keep pile back in their appropriate storage spaces, and distribute the giveaway piles accordingly.
And there you have it. DEDD day 2 is complete! Do you feel lighter yet?
See you on day 3!