The Strong Woman

When I was a kid, if you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up,  I would probably answer something along the lines of 'teacher' or 'artist'.  However, I'd be thinking something more along the lines of 'strong woman'.  I wanted to be a 'strong woman', someone who wasn't afraid to take risks, someone who didn't care what people thought, someone who grown women admired and little girls could look up to.

I'm 22 and a half, and that strong woman is nowhere in sight.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm by any means weak or a pushover.  I think I've come pretty far in terms of becoming a person that other people admire and look up to.  At 22, I have an Honours Bachelors degree, and will have a Masters degree before I turn 23.  I've gotten a great amount of work experience in my field and am making a good professional name for myself, and I have surrounded myself with great people, friends and family.  But when I was a kid, I wanted so much more for myself than academic or professional success.  To be fair, I was a kid.  But still, I knew that there was more to life than what I have now.

The thing is, I don't know what it means to be a 'strong woman'.  Like, how do you become one?  What do 'strong women' do that makes them so different than 'weak women'?  Is it even fair to label someone as a 'weak woman'?

If you've gotten this far, I'm sure you're wondering what this even has to do with the whole concept of being a defiant dougla.  What I'm really striving for by taking on this whole 'defiant dougla' lifestyle is to live a life that pushes me to be my greatest.  Living defiantly is all about challenging the limitations that are put upon us, whether they be by others or by ourselves.  I want to challenge this idea of women as weak and limited, and I want to push myself to be more than successful academically.

This is how I'm feeling today.  A little dejected and a lot stressed.  I think it's the stress of my  Major Research Paper (thesis) bearing down on me.  But since this is the diary of the defiant dougla, I thought this would be a good space to share.

In the comment section, let me know if you've ever felt weak or that you're not fulfilling your potential.  I'd love to chat about it!

Jenell
The Defiant (but somewhat dejected) Dougla

Comments

Popular Posts