DIY Fashion: Bleached Jeans!

Remember those skinnies I made earlier on?  Well, I wanted white jeans for a while and didn't want to pay $40 for a pair of good ones, so I figured I might as well turn some old jeans into white skinnies and see how I liked them.  Guess which jeans I used?


  Yupp! Our pals from the previous post!  Sorry this picture is blurry ... for better pictures of the jeans click here!

For this tutorial you will need:
Bleach (I used Old Dutch)
A Bucket large enough to fit your jeans
HOT water
A well ventilated area
A wooden stick

Lets get started!!

Fill your bucket 2/3 of the way with HOT water.  Keep in mind that you will need to put your jeans in the bucket, and you may want to add more bleach/water to the bucket after so don't fill the bucket all the way to begin with. 


Next, add 1/3 of your bucket of bleach.  Basically, 2 thirds hot water, 1 third bleach.  Here is a picture of my bleach.


Stir the bleach and water with the wooden stick, then add the jeans!!  Use the wooden stick to stir and make sure the bleach is touching all parts of the bleach.  


I didn't see much change in the jeans for the first 1-2 hours.  Then they started to lighten up.  I had to keep stirring them around to make sure they were bleaching evenly.  If you can get your jeans to sink down in the water completely, they will definitely bleach evenly.  Try using a rock or something.
If you're worried about your jeans, check them every hour or so.  I checked them on the hour for the first four hours, then I went to sleep and didn't check again for about 8 hours.  So in total the jeans were soaking for about 12 hours overnight.  They probably would have been fine with 8 hours.
If you have darker wash jeans, they may or may not need a longer time soaking in the bleach solution.  If your jeans are made of thin material like the Forever 21 jeans, your jeans may need less time.  

Once your jeans have been bleached to your satisfaction, rinse them out 3-4 times in hot water and soap to get out the bleach/water, then wash them in your washing machine.  And you now have bleached white jeans!

I forgot to take a picture of the jeans just laid out, but they bleached pretty well.  The button did come off ... 


The bleach broke down the denim around the metal.  Be aware that this will probably happen to you too.  I replaced the button with one that seems to fit way better with the jeans anyways ... So it wasn't much of a loss :)

  

And here is my attempt to show you the jeans while I'm wearing them.  They look great for summer!!



So ... that's it!  Happy bleaching!!

-xoxo, Jayy


Comments

  1. Hi, I am in the process of doing this and in just 20 minutes my jeans lightened dramatically and they were very very dark. My jeans are thinner though and I used Clorox bleach. But thanks for the tutorial!! One spot of my jeans were bleached on accident and I love these jeans!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani!

      I was surprised my jeans took so long to bleach ... I think it has to do with the type of wash they were plus the fact that they were pretty thick denim.

      Glad you enjoyed the tutorial!

      Jayy

      Delete
  2. Do your jeans have bleach smell to them now? or does the rinse with soap combined with the wash take the smell out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They smelled an awful lot like bleach after multiple washes! I soaked them in fabric softener to get rid of the smell.

      Delete
  3. Do they turn out white white or just a paler blue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey grace,

      They turned out to be a true white!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this tutorial. Yesterday I bleached my jeans white, now they looks awesome.
    Today I searched in google and come up with some ideas how to bleach jeans to get more interesting result. I will buy some jeans in second hand shop and try this, second photo - http://intrendyfashion.com/how-to-bleach-jeans/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts