Lighten Hair Naturally With Honey

Original Image Source
Today's DIY is a hair mask that I've been using religiously for the past 6 months or so.  I use this mask every other week, and it has done wonders for my hair!

This mask uses raw honey to both moisturize and lighten the hair.  Honey naturally has small amounts of peroxide, which can be used to lighten hair.  This mask needs to be used on a regular basis in order for the hair to be lightened.  Your hair will lighten gradually, over several uses.  This mask works best on brown hair, but it will make naturally black hair slightly lighter when in the sun as well.

If I had thought of it, I would have taken pictures of my hair before and after using the mask for 6 months.  However even if I did, I don't think that the difference would have shown up in pictures.  My hair is naturally black, and even though it does look lighter in the sun thanks to this mask, it's hard for me to be able to get a picture of it.  However I can definitely say that this hair mask has been great for moisturizing my hair!

Image Source
Enough chit-chat, let's get down to the mask!

For this mask you will need:
1/4 cup all natural RAW honey (raw honey works best because it's in its most natural form)
1/2 cup conditioner (any kind works just fine)

Mix the ingredients together and let sit for half a hour.  Apply to dry or damp hair, and wrap hair in a plastic bag, shower cap, or saran wrap.  Leave in for 1-4 hours, then wash mask out of hair.  Wash hair as normal. 

This mask will leave your hair smelling great, and feeling soft and moisturized!! After a few weeks, you should begin to noticed a slight difference.  Take pictures and let me know how the mask works for you!

Try some of these other natural methods of lightning your hair:
Cinnamon Honey Mask
Lighten hair with Lemons

I have created links to my favourite products for this DIY for you all! Check them out below!
- xoxo, Jayy

Comments

  1. You didn't mention blondes. Is it strong enough to lighten blonde hair more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potentially, but for blondes I suggest putting lemon juice in your hair and going out in the sun. I don't know anyone who has used this on blonde hair, so I can't give you a clear answer, but if you do try it out let me know! :)

      Good luck,

      Jayy

      Delete
  2. If I don't sit in the sun, will it still lighten my hair? I don't want to lighten my hair :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you wish to avoid lightening your hair, substitute olive or coconut oil for the honey. This will increase softness without lightening your hair.

      Good Luck,

      Jayy

      Delete
  3. whichhair mask lightener do you think is more effective this one or the other one? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them to be about equally effective. However I prefer this one because it's simple and easy to wash out! Give it a try and see which one works for you! You can alternate the masks if you would like.

      Good Luck,

      Jayy

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    I have a question please, even if I applied it to my naturally black hair for 6 months or more, no way I can get my hair lighter or at least bring out my natural highlights? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on your hair ... but I would expect that your natural highlights would be brought out!

      Delete
  5. If u have brown hair...how much days will u have to do this, so that it becomes a little blondier?? Oh and btw, i have very curly hair...an i dont know how to straighten it without using any heat, because i dont like curly hair. Help me if u can

    Thanx for the post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to say, as everyone's hair is different. This mask will not make your hair blonde, but it will bring your natural highlights out.

      Unfortunately it is impossible to straighten your hair without heat. You could blow dry using curlers, which is better than using a flat iron on your hair. But if your hair is thick and curly, you will need to use heat to get it straight.

      If you don't mind me asking, why don't you like your curly hair? Curls are gorgeous and very in style right now!

      Jayy

      Delete
  6. Is it okay if I just leave the treatment for 1 or 2 hours then I rinse it off? I wanted to try lightening my very dark brown hair and wanna try this. I've search some other process and this is the simplier one. I don't also want to add cinnamon since I read that cinnamon could have a burning sensation to your skin and that's what I'm afraid of.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts