DIY Beauty: Body Butter

I'm a body butter junkie.  My skin just soaks the stuff up, and it keeps it soft and moisturized.  This was my first time making my own body butter, but I thought that it would be a good idea to make a post about it anyways!  Since this was my first time, I only made a small amount.  

For this project I used:
- Cocoa Butter
- Shea Butter
- Vitamin E Oil
- Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
- A Tablespoon
- A Fork
- A toothpick
- A Bowl
- Hot Water
- A container to store the butter in (The jar I used is an old cosmetics container and I have no idea how much product it held.  If I had to guess, I would estimate about 200 ml.)
- If your storage container is made of any material that can melt with heat OR a material that conducts heat poorly, you will need a mixing bowl made out of a material such as glass/pyrex or metal.

Being the lazy girl that I am, I didn't use exact measurements.  But I put equal amounts of Shea butter, Cocoa butter, Olive oil and Coconut oil.  So, put roughly three tablespoons of Shea and Cocoa butter into your jar (shown below).


The butters should be melted down in order to add the oils.  To do this, use a double boiler.  Boil some water in a kettle or on the stove, and put it in a bowl.  Sit your mixing container in the bowl of hot water and stir occasionally with a toothpick until the butters are completely melted.


Then add your oils! I added a couple drops of Vitamin E oil, and then I put (roughly) three tablespoons of Olive oil and Coconut oil (see below).  Stir thoroughly to ensure the mixture is well blended.


After you mix, leave the butter mixture to set.  Put it in your refrigerator until the mixture hardens all the way through.  You should be able to pierce the mixture with a toothpick, but no liquid should spill out when you do.

 

Now it's time to whip it up!!  If this was being made in a larger batch, you could use an electric beater to do the mixing.  But since I made a small batch, I used a fork!  Mix the butter like you would beat an egg by hand.  I had to transfer it to a larger bowl to get the job done properly but it worked!


And there you have it!  Your very own homemade all-natural super-moisturizing body butter!!!

I found this mixture to be a bit too oily for my skin, and I have quite dry skin.  I'm used to being able to touch objects after putting body butter on my skin, but everything I touch is left with an oily residue.  I did find this to be really great as a night time moisturizer for my feet ... I would put it on and then wear socks to bed so that the moisture could sink in.  It worked pretty well!  It also wasn't bad as an impromptu lip-balm.  And I also used on the ends of my hair a few times, and it did a good job of moisturizing them.

Final Verdict? When I make this again, I would use less Olive oil, and I would try to cut the greasiness with another ingredient.  I'll be on the hunt for other recipes!  But this butter did work well as an all-purpose moisturizer, so I wouldn't mind making another small batch of this same recipe again!

If you try this recipe, or if you have another recipe you would like to share, let me know! 

Cheers to moisturized skin! (And hair, and lips ... you get the idea)

xoxo, Jayy

Comments

Popular Posts