Tips for Selling Clothing!

Selling clothing to consignment stores is something that I've grown to love.  There's nothing more rewarding than doing a huge closet purge, and getting paid for it!  To be quite honest, it is what motivates me to get rid of items that I struggle to let go of.  I often make a deal with myself - if it sells, then I will let it go.  If it doesn't sell, I might allow myself to keep it.

Anyways, here are my top tips for selling clothing to consignment stores.

1. Locate several consignment stores in your area.
Chances are, if one store doesn't take all of your items, another might.  I have located two consignment stores in my area (both are Plato's Closet).  I have sold at each store several times, so I am familiar with what each store will take.  One store is pickier and prefers to take items that are in pristine condition, so I let them have the first pick of my items.  After that first store goes through my items, I head on over to the second store, who will gladly accept more worn items that the other store rejected.  Only after going to both stores will I donate the remaining items to the thrift store.

2. Choose your items carefully.
There are some things that consignment stores will not take.  I know that Plato's Closet is not into buying vintage items, "mature" styles (pretty much anything that fits my current business-casual style), or items that are too casual, such as sweats and plain t-shirts.  So when I choose items to sell to Plato's, I usually will avoid including these items.   That way I don't waste anyone's time, including mine.

3. Pay attention to the season.
If you've ever worked in retail, you know that stores start bringing out clothing for the next season at least 2 months in advance.  Some consignment stores will do the same.  So when choosing items to sell, try to avoid selecting out of season items, or items that are just going out of season.  For example, avoid bringing in your heavy winter sweaters at the end of March, when spring is just around the corner.  Instead, try re-evaluating your need for these items halfway through the season.  If you haven't worn the item in 1.5-2 months, chances are you won't be picking it up for the rest of the season, so pass it on to your local consignment store!

4. Be persistent, ask questions.
If something doesn't sell once, don't be afraid to try again if you think the item has real value!  Stores may not purchase items for a variety of reasons.  Don't be afraid to ask why they didn't choose your item(s), or what you could do to ensure they buy it next time.

5. Follow their social media pages.
The two Plato's I go to both have Instagram pages.  This is perfect for me to get a sense of what items they want, which helps me tailor my selection of items to suit their tastes.  Plus there's always a thrill associated with seeing your items featured on their page!

6. Time your visits.
Following social media pages or signing up for mailing lists can help you figure out when a consignment store needs items.  It's also a good idea to time your selling trips both before and after major sale events such as Black Friday, pre-Christmas shopping, Boxing Day, etc. This way you know stores are in need of items, and more likely to accept your items.

That's it for today my friends!

Cheers to making money off the items we purge!

xoxo, Jayy

Comments

Popular Posts