How Minimalism Changed My Mind

When I first began my minimalism journey, you/d be surprised how easy it was for me to spend money wastefully.  I would get rid of bags and bags of items, only to bring in bags and bags of more items that I was convinced I needed.

Recently I did another purge, after only doing one about a month ago during Canadian Thanksgiving.  I was very surprised at the fact that I was able to get rid of one whole garbage bag full of donations, plus two garbage bags full of clothes, shoes (which I never thought I would get rid of), purses (another surprise), belts, and random household items.  Three garbage bags of stuff?  That's a lot.

A lot of those items were things I had purchased within the last year that still had tags on it.  That was a HUGE wake up call for me.  The fact that I had purchased items that had mo meaning or value to my life within the last year was disappointing.  After all, this year was supposed to be the year of minimalism ... I felt a little bit like a failure.  Especially after receiving only about $70.00 for those items a the consignment store.  I knew it was time to make a change.

Only, I was surprised to realize that I was already making a change.  Without realizing it, I had been able to change the way I thought about purchasing items.  I no longer grabbed items aimlessly, I put some thought into shopping around the store.  Instead of grabbing items in colours or styles I liked, I walked around the store with the item, to see if I liked it after the initial excitement wore off.  I almost unconsciously ask myself if this items really makes me happy, or if I could walk out of the store and never think of this item again.  Usually, it's the latter.  I avoid salespeople so their constant pestering doesn't influence my decision to buy.  And I don't even go into a store if I don't need anything from there to begin with.

After a year or so of really trying to be a minimalist, I'm breaking old habits and learning to shop more consciously.  It's working folks!  I'm on my way :).

Cheers to a new minimalist mind!

xoxo, Jayy

Comments

Popular Posts