The Golden Rule of Decluttering [#MinimalismMondays]


If you want to move towards minimalism, there is one simple principle you have to embrace:

The things you declutter do not need to be replaced.

I'm a poet and I didn't even know it.
Sure, you can replace the basic items you had to get rid of because they were tattered, torn, or didn't fit anymore.  Whenever I get rid of items like undergarments, jeans, and neutral pants/tops, I either already have purchased a replacement, or have plans to do so in the near future.  There are some items I just can't go without.  But the excess items I get rid of, like the handbags I let go of because I like the other 15 I have more, those don't need to be replaced.

Here's a simple challenge if you have trouble with this concept.  When you declutter your items, count how many of each item you have gotten rid of, and only replace HALF of the items you got rid of, including staple pieces.

For example, say you got rid of 2 pairs of shoes, 4 handbags, 20 blouses, and 10 pairs of pants.  Of those 36 items, 6 were absolute staples (neutral clothing/accessories).  Now, try not to replace more than HALF of what you got rid of.  So, that means you would replace 18 items at most, including the 6 staple items.  That allows you to purchase a maximum of 12 new items that you feel enhance your current wardrobe, and add value to your life!  

If you follow this rule, and avoid replacing more than half of the items you get rid of, your journey to minimalism will be much easier.

I hope this tip helped!  Cheers to getting rid of more, and keeping less!

xoxo, Jayy


Comments

Popular Posts