Minimalism & My Self-Esteem



For a lot of people, the move towards minimalist living is a trend that will pass when the next big thing comes along.  But for me, this is a serious (though VERY difficult) life change, because it will (1) help me save money and work towards my life goals, and (2) because having less means less stress in my opinion.

The thing is, minimalism is closely tied to my self esteem.  The need to have a lot of stuff comes from my own insecurities about my material possessions.  Growing up, I always had just enough (ironic that I am trying so hard to get back to my roots, isn't it!), whereas many of my peers had excess.  Lots of clothes, shoes, accessories ... and I wanted to be like them.  To fit in.  In trying to do so, I bought into the consumerist mindset and began to hoard items.  And that's how I ended up where I am now, trying desperately to create new, healthier habits.

Minimalism is tied to how we feel about our most basic selves - our personalities and our physical appearances, our lifestyles, our habits.  For a lot of people, minimalism is a vulnerable position.  It takes away the items we use as a shield from the outside world.  Who we when we're not hiding behind our stuff?  Are we comfortable enough to present ourselves to the outside world without hoarding an abundance of material items?

Minimalism means that we have to stop thinking about how others will judge us based on our material possessions.  Repeat after me - I am not my stuff!  I am more than the clothes, shoes, accessories, Bath and Body Works products that I own!  I am more than a brand name or high end label.  Minimalism means that while you can enjoy and appreciate the material goods you own, you can still be yourself, and be happy with yourself, without those material possessions.

Minimalism means that you enjoy your items, even if it's not 'cool' or 'trendy' enough to do so.  If you put on a blouse and it makes you feel like the ruler of the world, wear that blouse as many times as you want!  Who said we can't repeat outfits!  Enjoy that blouse, and enjoy the way it makes you feel.  Wear it every day if you want to - at the end of the day it's not the blouse that matters.  It's the life you live while wearing that blouse that is important.

My minimalism journey has to coincide with my self-love journey.  While I work on owning less, I am also working on loving myself more.  I am working on ignoring the perceived judgement from peers, and instead focusing on living a life that makes me feel happy and fulfilled.

I went on a bit of a ramble here, so I'm going to end this post now.  I hope that something I said today resonated with you.

Cheers to minimalism, as it leads me on a journey of self love!

xoxo, Jayy

Comments

Popular Posts