Knowledge Is Dead Weight.


I have two degrees - a Bachelors and a Masters of Social Work.  I love academia - I enjoyed every minute of my education, even the ones that made me cry.  And I took great notes - pages and pages of handwritten notes, especially during my Bachelors degree.

I kept all of those notes in a drawer under my bed, until I decided to get rid of them this weekend.  And I was surprised at how hard it was for me to put my notes in the recycling bin.

My notes aren't just notes.  They are a physical representation of the $40 000 of tuition fees, and 5 years of my life.  When people ask me what I did after high school, this is what I have to show for it. A big pile of notes that sum up the knowledge I've gained in university.  And that pile was HUGE.  What you see pictured above is only half of the notes I recycled this weekend.

The thing is, these notes aren't all I have to show for it.  I have two diplomas, countless essays and papers (saved on my computer), a thesis, and my own personal knowledge, which cannot be quantified.  I don't need these notes to prove that the past 5 years of my life mean something.

So after giving myself a pep talk, I let the notes go.  I am keeping the knowledge, but letting go of the bulk.  I think that's the smart thing to do.

Cheers to letting go of the things that mean the most to us.

xoxo, Jayy

Comments

Popular Posts