All My Single Ladies!Wednesday, June 03, 2015
When you come from a traditional family, being single at 22 is just about as fun as driving through a desert at noon without a drop of water in sight.
You get thirsty.
[I'm sorry, that was a bad joke. I did not mean for that to happen, nor is that true. I am not thirsty, or desperate (ok maybe a little). However I laughed at that joke for a solid two minutes, so it's staying :)].
Being a single dougla sucks because quite frankly, getting married was a part of my life plan since I was a little girl. And when you factor in the fact that I thought 20 was old, well ... the little girl in me is very disappointed with me. As I'm sure is my mother, who mentions dating and grandchildren on a regular basis.
I got sick and tired of pressuring myself/getting pressured by others to be in a relationship in the next two or three years, so I plugged my ears, went "lalalalala" until I couldn't hear anyone but myself, and then asked the million dollar question: What do I want?
The truth is, I have no clue. I've dreamed of being in a relationship/getting married for as far back as I can remember, so I can't separate myself from that as a dream for myself. So, I added to the question: What ELSE do I want?
Now that's an easy one. In no particular order, my answers are:
- To be working full time in the field of social work.
- To be published in at least one academic journal.
- To be considering the best time to apply to
get my butt whipped bya PhD program.
- To get my own car.
- To be able to afford my own place (even if I didn't want to move out of my parents home).
- To travel (Guyana, Brazil, Ghana, Nigeria, England, India, Spain, Italy, France ....)
- To speak at a conference about something, ANYTHING!
- To conqueror my fear of heights and go skydiving!
- To learn to swim.
- To learn to ride a bike (don't laugh at me.)
- To go ice skating under the stars.
- To get in shape and STAY in shape.
- To go on a mission trip and help people around the world.
- To be making my own bath and body products regularly for friends and family.
- To meet new people who share similar interests (AS FRIENDS).
- To grow my hair to bra-strap length when curly!
- To get laser eye surgery and ditch my glasses for good.
- To get a pet (only if number 5 pans out and I'm on my own).
- To be happy with myself.
- To start creating art again.