The Truth About Biotin, Part II - Get My Perspective

Image retrieved from: http://www.blackhairinformation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Biotin-capsules.jpg

If you're interested in more information about biotin supplements, click here for part I.

A lot of you have been interested in biotin as a supplement for hair growth.  This supplement is one of the first suggested to those who wish to grow their hair, and is easily accessible over the counter under the name biotin, vitamin B7, or vitamin H.  Biotin is also used in hair supplements such as Hairfinity or Hair Skin Nails by ItWorks.  If you’re interested in taking biotin, either on its own or in combination with other supplements, I highly suggest you continue reading.  However I am not a doctor or a medical professional – this information comes from my own research.  I'm sharing a very small bit of information with you, which you can choose to follow at your own risk.  Do further reserach before you decide that biotin is an ideal supplement for you.  If you have any questions for me, leave them in the comment box below!  

My Biotin Experience
If you're interested about my personal experience with biotin, check out the following posts:




Like I said, I have been taking biotin on and off for about three years now.  There is more information about this in the posts linked above, so check those out if you're looking for details.  The information to follow is not listed in any of those posts.

Based on my experience with biotin, I do not recommend it as a viable supplement.  As someone who struggles with acne and scarring, biotin compounds the issue and has left visible damage to my face.  In addition, biotin is pricey, meaning that I've been paying quite a bit of money for something that has only caused me additional stress.  I have tried biotin in conjunction with MSM, and did see an improvement in my biotin-related acne.  However, again, the cost of both supplements combined is pricey, and not worth it in my opinion.

I have used various brands of biotin supplements, the most recent being capsules sold by GNC.  I have taken biotin pills as well, with no notable difference betwee the two other than the pills being smaller and easier to swallow.  I have taken biotin in dosages from 100 mcg to 1000 mcg, to 5000 mcg, and finally 10, 000 mcg.  I noticed more change by taking dosages 1000 mcg and under, as anything higher was most likely just passing straight through my body.

I have not tried Hairfinity or any other hair vitamin, and am no longer interested in doing so.  These vitamins come with their own set of side effects, which to me, is not worth the hassle.  I know many people on YouTube who claim to experience positive benefits from taking biotin and other hair vitamins.  Unfortunately, I am not one of them.  My hair growth journey is now focused on eating and living healthier, and accepting my slow hair growth for what it is.  

For those of you who are considering taking biotin, please weigh the pros and cons heavily.  If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask me in the comment section below.

Cheers!

- xoxo, Jayy

Comments

Popular Posts