Valentines DIY: Rocky Road Chocolate Bars

In continuation with my Valentine's Day posts, here's an easy recipe for Rocky Road chocolate bars!  I'm not a fan of the Hallmark holiday, but I do enjoy chocolate every once in a while.  I first had Rocky Road chocolate bars a few Christmases ago, and they definitely make my short list of chocolates I can't live without!  I made mine especially simple because I've made them for some picky eaters, but please feel free to add more nuts and dried fruit if you so choose!  This recipe is definitely kid friendly, so if you have to make some sweet treats for your little ones to take to school, get them involved and make this an afternoon affair!

For this DIY you will need:
1 cup milk chocolate melts or chips
1-2 bags mini marshmallows
1 tbsp coconut oil (optional)
1/4 cup of peanuts (optional)
1/4 cup of almonds (optional)
1 handful of dried cranberries (optional)

Microwave OR double boiler
Microwave-safe container(s)
Spoon
Freezer-friendly container
Cling wrap or parchment paper
Sharp knife
Storage container/ziploc bags (if there's any left).
Self-control

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Cooking Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Just kidding about the self control.  Maybe.  It takes some superhuman strength to avoid licking up all the melted chocolate.  Just look at it pour ... so smooth ... so creamy ...


Ok I'm done.

Let's get started!

1. In a microwave or over a double boiler, melt your chocolate.  If using coconut oil, add it in at this point.  The coconut oil is optional, but good for keeping your chocolate smooth and creamy when melting.  If microwaving, melt in short 10-15 second bursts.  Trust me, chocolate burns quickly when microwaving and you do not want to waste chocolate.  Stir between bursts to ensure you are not over heating.



2. Once melted, add your marshmallows to the hot chocolate!  How much you add is personal preference ... I added a bag and a half.  At this point, if using other nuts or dried fruit add them in here.  Like I said, I made this for some picky eaters, so I omitted these.



3. Spoon into your freezer-friendly container that has been lined with parchment paper or cling wrap.  (I prefer parchment paper because it doesn't leave weird lines along the bottom of my chocolate, but again that's personal.  It all tastes the same.)



4. Top with additional nuts/dried fruit.  I had some chocolate left over at the bottom of the bowl, so I resisted the urge to lick it up and drizzled it over the top.

5. Freeze for no more than 1 hour.



6. Remove from freezer and set out on counter for 5 minutes for easier cutting.


(Here I should add that at this point any chocolate that breaks off the sides is fair game.  No one will miss it ...)


7.  Cut chocolate into squares or bars, and admire your delicious creation.  You may choose to heat your knife up by running it under hot water for a few seconds, and then wiping completely dry before cutting into the chocolate.  This is not mandatory but might make for a smoother cut.





8. Store in storage container/zilploc bags in a cool place.

And that's it!  Quick, easy, and not just limited to Valentine's Day!  Easter is right around the corner, and I'm sure these would be appreciated then too.  Hope you enjoyed this little DIY.

Looking for another Valentine friendly DIY?  Check out my chocolate body butter recipe by clicking here.

Cheers to ooey gooey chocolate goodness!

- xoxo, Jayy

Comments

Popular Posts