DIY Decor: Olive Oil Can Vase!

Yes, you read that title correctly.  This week I discovered that olive oil cans are really fun and easy to repurpose.  Here's how!

For this tutorial you will need:
- An empty olive oil can
- A can opener
- Scrapbook paper
- Glue
- A ruler
- Scissors
- Ribbon

Let's get started!

The first thing you want to do is cut the can open using the can opener.  Use the can opener as you would on a regular cylindrical can, and simply cut the top off of the olive oil can!  When you're finished, drain all of the extra oil.  Don't throw it away!! If you don't want to use it to cook, check out some of my DIY Beauty recipes that use olive oil for healthy hair and skin.

Once you've emptied all the olive oil, wash the can inside and out with some soap and water.



And now we're good to go!!

 Once you've selected a sheet of scrapbook paper in a pattern that you like, lay the can on its side on the back of that paper.  Draw lines where the top and bottom of the can will match up.  I had to do this on two pieces of paper, as one was not enough to cover my entire can.  I used the ruler to help make sure the lines were straight.

Once you've drawn your lines, cut slits in the top and bottom of the paper that stop at the line. This will help the paper to lie flat on your can.
 Now glue the paper to the can!  I used regular white glue and a brush, and applied the glue to the paper.  I then placed it on the can, smoothing out the bubbles as I went.  Fold the top and bottom flaps over and glue to the inside of the can.  Don't worry if it's messy ...

... Because we're going to cover it with ribbon!  Once everything is smoothed out, apply a piece of ribbon to the inside of the can to cover up any mess you may have made on the inside.

And that's it!  I am currently not using my can, as I am figuring out a decorating scheme for this awkward second half of winter.  I think I will be using this to store my dried roses ... It will blend nicely with the scrapbook paper print!  This can/vase also can be used to store things that you want to keep out of sight, such as electrical cords and chargers that you're not using.  It can even be used to store hot tools (cooled of course), since it's so deep!  The possibilities are endless, just be creative!

Cheers to creative can upcycling!

xoxo, Jayy


Comments

Popular Posts