Can I Touch Your Hair?

Thursday, June 04, 2015

It's almost summer time in the city.  This will be my first summer ever wearing my natural hair out, and I'm excited.  Will I sweat to death?  Will my hair protect me from the sun?  Will my hair grow faster when exposed to the sun's rays?  Who knows ?!

Throwback to my lazy Sunday morning … wish I was in bed right now 😟😭The number one perk of having natural hair is being able to walk home in the rain, and have your hair looking better than it did when you left in the morning :)The sun is out.  The birds are chirping.  And all the annoying little kids are outside because it’s March Break.   Definitely happy being stuck inside working on this thesis.


What I'm not excited for is the ridiculous amount of people who have already asked to touch my hair.  (Or the people who come up to me and just start molesting my head).  I know that many other mixed/Black people out there have the same problem, so I have come up with a list of my top responses for when someone asks if they can touch your hair and you feel really uncomfortable:
  1. I just put a lot of Shea Butter in my hair, and your hand will get greasy ...
  2. Do I look like a petting zoo to you?
  3. Well, I just spent an hour getting ready ...
  4. Oh no, I'm sorry, did my hair swallow your comb?  Wallet?  Firstborn child?
  5. Sure!  Let me touch yours! *Rub their head and give them a smug grin*
  6. I'm not sure what you're going to find in there ....
  7. Why?  (They usually say that they think it's beautiful/soft etc., to which I reply:) Well, let's keep it that way.
  8. No.  It's my body, and I have the right to decide who touches it.
I was going to write a long, humorous list, but the I realized they were all just really unnecessary.  

If you don't want someone to touch your hair, SAY NO.  You hvae the right to say no.  I personally will make exceptions for mesmerised little children, but 90% of the time I will say no.

Preserve your right to say no ladies and gents.

The Defiant Dougla

You Might Also Like

0 comments